Every aspect of teaching has a different influence from the next. We as music educators touch a certain aspect of life and culture that can’t be explored so deeply in any other realm. We get to introduce students to a field that explores all aspects of a human experience: emotional depth, change + progress, history, cultural experience, language, and even math +science (rhythm + harmony, anyone?).
I hope these quotes inspire the teacher you are today into continually becoming the teacher you always wanted to be!!
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” – William Ward
- “Education isn’t just about feeding the brain. Art and music feed the heart and soul.” – Julie Garwood
- “If children hear fine music from the day of their birth and learn to play it, they develop sensitivity, discipline and endurance. They get a beautiful heart.” – Shinichi Suzuki
- “Music education opens doors that help children pass from school into the world around them – a world of work, culture, intellectual activity, and human involvement.” – Gerald R. Ford
- “I can not imagine my life if I didn’t have a music program in my school.” – Beyonce
- “The arts significantly boost student achievement, reduce discipline problems, and increase the odds students will go on to graduate from college.” – Arne Duncan, former US Secretary of Education
- “Nine-tenths of education is encouragement.” – Anatole France
- “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – Maya Angelou
- “Never discourage anyone . . . who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.” – Plato